Page 1 of 1

Intro - with questions

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:25 am
by Rumblefish
Hi,

I have experience as a shortwave enthusiast. My main radio is Tecsun s2000 and I have a longwire antenna and an MLA-30+ loop antenna - I have had success receiving signals from all over the world with this simple and relatively cheap set up.

I'm looking to get into CB radio - hoping to set up a home base. Before I spend the money though I have a few questions.

1) is there an active CB community in my area (Huntingdonshire/ Peterborough) QTH locator : IO92WK - doesn't seem worth spending the money unless if there is no one on the airwaves.

2) If i buy a cheaper rig will I quickly regret not getting one with side band?

The radio I have in mind is; a Radioddity CB500 along with a Thunderpole silver rod | 1/2 wave hi-gain antenna.

Any help is greatly appreciated.