Page 1 of 1
Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:03 pm
by Majorpain
I do have a problem my swr meter seems to be broken and I can’t receive anything except static does a roof rack affect my mag mount aerial
Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:36 pm
by Hair Bear
Hi, you say returning after a long absence, are you using your original kit?
Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:37 am
by Majorpain
Yes I have an old alba
With a little mag mount aerial I am not getting anything except static it’s almost like there’s no one there
I bought a new thunderpole 2000 with an airial and had the same issue so I sent it back and am now trying to figure out why my original kit won’t work
Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:07 pm
by Hair Bear
Unfortunately without someone to confirm your set up is working it's difficult to know what you're working with.
I'm sure there have been others in your area on this forum within the last 12 months so don't give up hope yet.
If the set up is mobile then the obvious thing to do is just leave it on wherever you are and just call and listen - especially if you can get to high ground. If everyone listens and nobody calls then the assumption is no-one is there!
Apart from farms in this area it seems there is only two of us that communicate regularly but every so often a new voice appears.
Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:07 pm
by Majorpain
I’m thinking about going back to my ham international concord 2 with k40 set up but that’s not leagal is it?
Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:59 pm
by Hair Bear
Erm... I've no idea!
Hopefully someone on here will know.
Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:09 am
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
No not legal, but we've not heard of anyone ever getting caught using one of those

Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:37 pm
by Majorpain
Ok I have now bought a thunder pole t2000 and an orbiter antenna how do I get AM on it?
Re: Hi from Cardiff returning to cb after a long absence
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:13 am
by andy@thunderpole.co.uk
To use AM you need to set the radio to a band that allows AM, such as the EU band.
To select EU band:
1)Turn OFF the radio.
2)Whilst pressing the F and MEM buttons together, turn on the power using the ON/OFF/VOLUME Control.
3)Use the Channel Selector or UP and Down buttons to select the EU band.
4)Turn the radio off and then on again, now the display will show the EU band, and you can use 'Mode' button to switch between FM and AM.
Andy
