Page 1 of 1

Where to put an antenna?

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:10 pm
by ellitanthalas
Hi guys,

OK, I'm just about ready to get my first rig - a Midland 48 Plus Multi, to be used as a base station. I've read up on SWRing, Coax, bands, frequencies, squelching, gain, groundplanes and all sorts of stuff. The only query I have left is as follows;

Where can I put my antenna and what kind would be best?

I live in a first floor flat in a two-storey terrace.
The accomodation is rented so I doubt the landlord will be happy if I whack an 18' pole on the side of the building.
There is no balcony and the window-ledge is plastered brick.

I don't think an indoor antenna will be of much use as it would have to be set up and taken down every time I get on the air and I don't think the other half will like me taking up the room space with a whacking great antenna.

I was considering the Sirio Balcony or perhaps one of the On Glass types (do I have to drill a hole for those and will they still attach through double-glazing?).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get something rigged to give me some decent signal? 10 miles would be great.


Thanks,
Woody.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:26 pm
by stampman
on glass wont work dv 27 on buiscet tin might work but very restricted distance dv in attic and run coax down behind down spout would work a lot better good luck or feed a diapole behind down spout if its plastic have fitted theses before




:D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:20 pm
by ellitanthalas
Thanks Stamp, but those options are still out.

Basically, the biscuit tin or anything inside is a no-no as the girlie will rant at me and I can't be bothered with the hassle.

On glass, fair enough. I didn't think it would, but it was an idea...

As for the attic - don't have one.
I have a studio flat/large bedsit thing.

I could possibly screw something onto the plastic frame of the window or maybe clamp it to the side of the brick window-ledge...
The only concern would be getting the height. The terrace is atop a hill, 57m above sea level, one of the highest points in the district (benefits of a long lunch-break and mapping software at work!!).

However, I'm worried that the antenna will not even reach roof apex height.
Will I still get decent performance (up to 10 miles) from a side-of-house-mounted antenna?


Thanks,
Woody.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:54 pm
by stampman
possable if looking over the rest of the town think there is one called as boomerang andy will correct if not or a marine cb antenna has its own built in ground plane that might work

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:58 pm
by colsa
I would put one up on the roof, doesn't seem like you have any other option, if the landlord complains then unlucky, but i doubt he will even notice.

I put an antron up on my chimney, and can honestly say, not one person in my terraced street has noticed its even there yet.

How about putting a signal keeper out there, its only 5 or 6 ft, and looks pretty much like a tv aerial.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:39 pm
by EarthWormJim
You could just ask the landlord you dont know unless you ask he'll say yay or nay 8)