Hello!

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
Anna
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 pm
CB Handle: NaanaB

Hi all, I'm Anna, I'm new to CB - am just getting myself set up for mobile use on my motorcycle. Have invested in an Alan (Midland??) 42 and helmet kit.

Don't know any of the jargon or anything - gentle introduction required please!! [-o<

See, I don't even understand this Midland/Alan thing...
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Hi Anna and welcome to the forum :-Wave

Andy

p.s. basically Alan is the European name for Midland... :wink:
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

HI AND WELCOME

you dont need jargon just what passes for english these days you will soon pick the lingo up always remember they cant see you blushing


:D :D :D :D :D :D :D *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
greenfingers
Needs to get out more!!
Needs to get out more!!
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:23 am
CB Handle: GREENFINGERS
Location: Bournemouth/poole

HI FROM ME :mrgreen: :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave
26TM777 26W777
Image
tincahunter
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Leeds

Hi and welcome to the forum
rigs on m/cycles aint seen that for years
what your riding ?
Mark
fatfinger
Official CB Legend!!!
Official CB Legend!!!
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:47 pm
Contact:

10 - 4 good buddy
whats your 20
how many candles are you burning
whats your handle
your giving me 30+ my end
roger that and welcome to the forum :lol:
:-Wave :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave :-Wave Quack
Anna
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 pm
CB Handle: NaanaB

Thanks for the welcomes all. :D

fatfinger, I won't be trying to unravel all that just yet... I've a suspicion at least some of it is rude.

It'll be a while before I get the rig set up on the bike, but a few mates of mine have been using CBs for years 'n' years, so I've plenty of backup - and someone to talk to!

thinks...

20 - location? - mostly on the M25 between junctions 16 & 22, commuting times of day
candles?? - something to do with power output?? Dunno!
handle - name - TBD...
30+ - receiving well?
over...

tincahunter, I've a couple of friends who have always had rigs on their bikes - but the guy used to be in REME so I guess it gets into the blood. He's always reckoned CB's the most reliable band, wouldn't have anything to do with PMR when we were instructing. I guess CB's even better (in one respect) now that there are less people using it. Less interesting though. I was hoping to pick up truckers on my commute (in the sense of "hear" rather than the more tawdry sense) - gotta be more entertaining than Wogan...
I'm currently riding an MZ Skorpion traveller in metallic bottle green with boxes. Reliable bike. You ride?
User avatar
Nugsport
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:18 pm
CB Handle: Nugsport/Steve Alli-monster
Location: Leicester

Hello & Welcome to the world of CB Radio
Image
Steve
DX The World
"Check Your Band Plan"
Homebase - Magnum S-9 Nitro Export > Sirio 827
Mobile - Midland Alan 78 Plus Multi > Sirio Megwatt 4000
26 PW 353
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

CANDLES is your age as in how menay candles are on your birthday cake

30+ strength of received call

nothing rude there

:D :D :D :D :D :D *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Anna
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 pm
CB Handle: NaanaB

Ah. Not telling. [-X he he.

Well, got the headset sorted out this morning, so all powered up and ready to go... That's the beauty of the handhelds, no need to spend days and days making up brackets etc, just velcro the PTT switch to the handlebar, clip the unit to your belt, connect all the connectors and off you trot.

Now I just need someone to talk to... ! Oh and probably some helpful phrases - or I'll end up just speaking English and that wouldn't do at all!

Best channel? I know there's conventions about these things - help??
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

hi and welcome anna..good luck with your setup... :)
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

make sure you waterproof everything as cb radios dont like swimming at all


:D :D :D :D :D *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
tincahunter
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Leeds

Hi Anna
glad to hear your up and breaking on the air
yes i do ride at moment got a yzf 750r yam in fortuna colours

Shiny side up,take it easy
Mark
User avatar
Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Nairnshire, Scotland.

Hi Anna

Welcome to the forum!!
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...
Post Reply