Scotch Blocks ???

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring
Post Reply
User avatar
TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm
CB Handle: The Jester
Location: Preston, Lancashire

I recently read a post by Stampman, regarding "Scotch Blocks" and am now wondering if I may have a problem.

This is how I have connected my rig upto the power in my Freelander...

Image

... And am still not convinced I am transmitting properly (i.e... Nobody seems to answer me, when I give out a 19 for a roger etc.). Could this be my problem and if so, what connectors should I use ?

I have just purchased a Midland Alan 78 Plus Multi, which has a signal meter.

Would transmitting using this rig, prove if my Tx signal is good or bad ?
What sort of Tx signal reading should I be getting ?

Regards,

The Jester
HANDLE : The Jester
Image
User avatar
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
CB Handle: killer cam
Location: Shrewsbury

hi mate


the conections look good and unless your rig is relli dim when your using it you should have anuf power getting two it have you swr the areil and have you checked the co-ax as it might be dameged
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
User avatar
TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm
CB Handle: The Jester
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Yes have SWRed ok, but not checked aerial coax. How would I check this ?

Regards,

Jester
HANDLE : The Jester
Image
User avatar
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
CB Handle: killer cam
Location: Shrewsbury

hi

just check it for and breaks or cuts by a good inspection also has the magmount let in water as some do afterawhile so if you take the stinger out and look for damage in the little theared hole for water damage as this happened to me
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
User avatar
TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm
CB Handle: The Jester
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Ah right, will check that... Can the cable be tested from end to end in any way... A continuity test with a meter maybe ?
HANDLE : The Jester
Image
User avatar
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
CB Handle: killer cam
Location: Shrewsbury

hmm not that i know of i may have a better idea go to a rig doctor explain to hmm and he can use one of his radios he test the others on and give a shout out to you and if you dont get then we have some thinking to do lol
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
User avatar
TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm
CB Handle: The Jester
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Ok nice one, cheers. Just been out and checked magmount for water ingress and looks clean as a whistle... hmmmm

Thanks again,
HANDLE : The Jester
Image
User avatar
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
CB Handle: killer cam
Location: Shrewsbury

hi

unless co-ax areil should be fine i would find some on with a cb in your range so a friend rig doc and get them to make a shout out on 19 and see if you pick up
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

get rid of the scotch locks use chock blocks scotch lock will kid you the set is working but not let power through


:D :D *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
Philatelhater
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:01 pm
CB Handle: PontiusPhilate
Location: South Wales

stampman wrote:scotch lock will kid you the set is working but not let power through
Do excuse me if I'm stating the blindingly obvious... But surely it's difficult for a Scotch-lock to "kid you the set is working" when power isn't getting through as, with any of my radios, it's a bit of a dead giveaway when they don't light-up, the channel display remains blank etc.

No matter if a Scotch-block stood on a stack of Bibles and swore-blind that it was giving me power, if I didn't see any lights I wouldn't let it "kid me" [-X .... Jut call me Mr. Untrusting I know...
Image
_ _ _ _ _ Pontius Philate _ _ _ _ _
User avatar
TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm
CB Handle: The Jester
Location: Preston, Lancashire

I understand what you are saying, but STAMPMAN is a CB God and I`m sure he must have come across this problem before.... Stampman can you expand on why it kids you into thinking power is getting through...

Is it supplying just enough power to light everything up etc. but not enough power to transmit successfully ?

Cheers

Jester
HANDLE : The Jester
Image
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

it restricts the ampage going to the set you try and get full ampage and it lets you down

once spent 3 hours on a taxi radio worked fine on bench but not in cat new antenna and lead still nothing ended up being a scotch lock next to the battery took it off twisted wires to gether and bingo that was if 1976 never used one since but haave replaced plenty cause they all restricted the perform ance of the set




*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Post Reply