Midland 78 Plus Multi - Questions ?

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring
Post Reply
User avatar
TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm
CB Handle: The Jester
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Just purchased a Midland Alan 78 Plus Multi from that auction site and now that I have fitted it in place am a bit miffed as the channel selector rotary switch seems to change 1 or 2 channels then stops. If I turn the unit off/on and use the scan function or up/down buttons on the mic, channels change ok. Is this a common problem ? Is it an easy fix etc. ?

Now that I have a signal meter on this new unit, what sort of signal should I be getting when transmitting and would I be corrent in saying that the 1 - 3 - 5 - 30 readings also correspond to the rig check readings breakers give out as "Radio 5, radio 3 etc"

And I assume from that , Radio 5 is a good signal and Radio 1 is rubbish..... ?

Any other hints tips or comments on this unit would be appreciated,

Jester
HANDLE : The Jester
Image
User avatar
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
CB Handle: killer cam
Location: Shrewsbury

hi

your sure there is not a load of gunk in side on the switch u wanna try spraying some Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner on the inside and give the switch a clean up
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
User avatar
TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 pm
CB Handle: The Jester
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Should I open the unit up and spray this stuff around the channel selector ?
HANDLE : The Jester
Image
User avatar
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
CB Handle: killer cam
Location: Shrewsbury

yes open upthe unit give the rotary switch a clean and then spray this on not to mutch tho and the close the unit back up twist the rotary switch round to get it nicley lubed then turn on and hope for the best at least if it didnt work the stuffs not to expensife
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
oldskooldaze
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:20 pm
Location: Nr Blackpool

TheJester wrote:Just purchased a Midland Alan 78 Plus Multi from that auction site and now that I have fitted it in place am a bit miffed as the channel selector rotary switch seems to change 1 or 2 channels then stops.
Get a refund unless it was stated as not working ? :o
User avatar
disgwylfa
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:58 pm
CB Handle: 186-TM-555

TheJester wrote: rig check readings breakers give out as "Radio 5, radio 3 etc" And I assume from that , Radio 5 is a good signal and Radio 1 is rubbish
Radio checks, or Radio Reports, usually take the form of Radio/Signal.

Radio is the quality and ease of understanding your signal and is measured from one to five, where:
1 - Can barely make out signal
2 - Only readable with difficulty
3 - Understandable with some effort
4 - Good, Understandable
5 - Perfect, Clear, Easy

And signal is taken from the "S-Meter" reading of the receiving station, usually 1 to 9.
1 - Very weak signal
2-8 Progressively strong
9 - Strong signal

So a really good Contact would generate a "you're five and nine to me", but might be "Radio 4 Signal 3" or whatever.

Cheers

"Cherokee"
User avatar
killer cam
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
CB Handle: killer cam
Location: Shrewsbury

have ya sorted the channel switch???
M6TBR

I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

you cant clean rotary swiches on the new sets a they are sealed yes they can be sorted easley by fitting a new one


*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Post Reply