Has anyone tried or used a Sigma Mantova Turbo homebase antenna (now being sold by Thunderpole)?
Or does anyone have any tech info on the product?
I'm tempted but would like to know what the "Wind rating" is of the beastie, or hear an opinion of someone that has one, as I do suffer a breeze or two at my home (hilltop) QTH. It'd break my heart to cough out £134.99 on a Sigma and find it has the staying power of a Silver Rod and crumples in the first really strong wind.
And, before the "Get an Antron" replies start pouring in, I already have two Antrons here but I need to replace the one I use for DX as I'm (still) getting RFI into my landline telephone from it. The question is whether to replace it with a Sirio 827, or the Sigma Mantova Turbo . . . . . or go nuts trying to fit a fibre-glass pole to the top of my 20' scaff pipe and then try to hang an inverted "V" wire dipole or Carolina Windom from it. A "ready made" vertical has got to be easier!
Cheers
Steve ("Cherokee")
Sigma Mantova Turbo Antenna?
- andy@thunderpole.co.uk
- Site Admin
- Posts: 1142
- Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
- Location: Northampton
- Contact:
Yes it is hollow Stampman, bit of a beast though at 7m long
Here it is... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/sigma-mantova-turbo.html
Andy
Here it is... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/sigma-mantova-turbo.html
Andy
Wonder if it'd be viable (for any hollow type big antenna) to squirt some expanding foam into the bottom of it? OK, it'd never be able to be "collapsed" again to sell or whatever, but it might be an idea to add a bit more strength.
Must try putting a multi-meter on a block of the dried foam to see if it has any inherent conductivity first though.
My searching has only uncovered one single review on the 'net
That's on EHam and dated 2001 and, then, the antenna was $80, but on the bright side, it's a positive review.
LOL, for eighty dollars US I'd just buy one and take the chance!
Cheers
Steve ("Cherokee")
Must try putting a multi-meter on a block of the dried foam to see if it has any inherent conductivity first though.
My searching has only uncovered one single review on the 'net
LOL, for eighty dollars US I'd just buy one and take the chance!
Cheers
Steve ("Cherokee")
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
no
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
im dreding winter lol
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
.
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
It's a tough one.
[A] Go with the proven, well-liked and good DX antenna, the 827?
Or take a chance on a new one, that no-body's ever heard of, that might fold-up in the wind, and might have the DX power of a piece of wet-string? That just happens to cost more.
But, of course, the new one MIGHT be superb and knock the 827 into a cocked-hat. That's the gamble.
Cheers
Steve ("Cherokee")
[A] Go with the proven, well-liked and good DX antenna, the 827?
Or take a chance on a new one, that no-body's ever heard of, that might fold-up in the wind, and might have the DX power of a piece of wet-string? That just happens to cost more.
But, of course, the new one MIGHT be superb and knock the 827 into a cocked-hat. That's the gamble.
Cheers
Steve ("Cherokee")
- killer cam
- - - -> CB God <- - -

- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm
- CB Handle: killer cam
- Location: Shrewsbury
yeh thats a throught
M6TBR
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me
I want to tell you my setup but you might rob me

