Anyone confirm my SWR'ing correct as new to this!

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting
Post Reply
DiscoJon
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi all, could someone put my mind at rest that I have SWR'ed my new rig and antennae properly, as my previous results where off the scale!

I have a 'Maas' K-SWR-222 SWR + Power meter with double guages, not what I ordered but a better replacement as out of stock possibly? Anyway found out from this forum about connecting transeiver end to rig and antennae to antennae lead, keyed mic and set level, turned to REF and keyed and went off the scale on SWR guage on right and well into red on Power guage. Assume SWR too high on pre-set Thunderpole Springer antennae...hmm

After more forum research thought it might be to do with the gutter mount or even quick release system. Removed Quick-release and applied sealant when reattaching gutter mount. Tried SWR'ing again. This time when set, had Watts of 4 (into the red) with the REF showing on the SWR guage as almost nothing but the Watt guage is showing 4 (into the red).

Can I assume that my SWR is about 0.5 and power output of 4 Watts and that this is OK or have I done something wrong as it does seem very low?
Last edited by DiscoJon on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris9
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Burton-on-Trent

make really sure that you have connected the antenna to the ant socket and not the other way around.
then set meter switch to fwd and press the mic buttom and move knob around until needle on the gauge is on the 'set' on the swr side. (let go of mic)

now switch to ref and press mic and read the swr.

do this on channel 1 and 40.

worse on 40 than 1 means antenna too long.

but off the scale readings can often mean damaged coax or shorts on the connectors, or bad ground plane or lack of contact with ground plane.

use continiuity meter to check these issues before swring.

Chris
DiscoJon
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:39 pm

I got the first part ok, but I still get hardly any movement on the guage when I switch to REF. I had taken the mount apart to ensure good contact and inspected the cable where it exits the door trim, a pinch point, all ok. Just these unlikely low REF readings!!

Do they sound too good to be true at just less than 0.5 on Ch1 and a mere flinch on Ch40?

Jon
chris9
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Burton-on-Trent

try on eu band, should be slightly worse.
if so then you probably just have a good(balanced) setup.

chris
DiscoJon
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:39 pm

chris9 wrote:try on eu band, should be slightly worse.
It was, so it is ok :D . Many thanks.
chris9
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Burton-on-Trent

try calling 'one nine a rig check' on channel 19 :D

chris
Post Reply