New to this Craic..

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
Lecky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Hey I'm Lecky and as you can see I'm new to this craic.... Live in NI and a few of my mates have CBs so I was planning on joining the club...

Just wondering the best way to attach an antenna (probably a 1.55m Orbitor) to a MK 4 Golf. I wasn't planning on putting a hole in my car or using a mag mount either was thinking a boot or hatch mount on the back right of the boot not the full way at the top cause of the way the boot opens it would just whack off the car. Any help greatly appreciated (I may have to resort to a mag so I'm not ruling it out but a friend had bad experiences with his and I'd be on the motorway a lot)

Lecky :P
joe jeep
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:22 pm
CB Handle: Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex

I wouldn't worry about a mag, i use one from the late 80's that hadn't been used for years, it's 6" with a modulator (1.65m) on it and i have had it up to 90mph in the rain, um I mean 77mph. He He

Cheers
Joseph
Handle:Joe-Jeep
Location: Littlehampton, West Sussex.
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.
Lecky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Cool I'll take note of that.
Where is the like button on this site for liking replies?? lol

Lecky :P
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

if you use a mag go for the wilson 1000 very expensive but will not move at speed and not rust as they are galvanised plus the antenna is a 5/8 wave as opposed to 1/4 wave which most of the other antenna are

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: wolverhampton, uk

WELCOME :D
Lecky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Does the Wilson 1000 antenna come with the mag attached to it?

Lecky :P
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Welcome to the forum, and yes the Wilson 1000 comes with the magnet.

Andy :wink:
Lecky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Im only a student like and my loan aint come in yet... lol.
I reckon I'll start small and build my way up to the Wilson but thanks for the advice anyway.
As to mounting an antenna on my car... Just smack right in the middle of the roof with a mag mount then...
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

:D :D Yep, they're not cheap! :shock: :shock:

I must admit, you do get what you pay for though...

Middle of the roof is the best idea for the most omnidirectional signal (transmitting the same in every direction).

Andy :wink:
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm
CB Handle: Guzzy
Location: England

andy@thunderpole.co.uk wrote: for the most omnidirectional signal (transmitting the same in every direction).
Look at you and your fancy words.

Lardy blooming dah. :lol:
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Sorry! I get geeky when explaining things sometimes!

To make it a bit simpler to understand, here is a simple formula showing the useful relationship between omnidirectional radiation pattern directivity (D) in decibels and half-power beamwidth (HPBW);

Image

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Andy :wink:
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

yeh right ok i've got a headache

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Lecky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Well shes ordered now... Lets hope shes here before the weekend... Convinced a mate to get one too... lol

Lecky :P
Post Reply