Using a 27/81 CB with burner on a leisure battery

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Post Reply
SideSide
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Hello again guys and girls.
Probably a very easy question to ask. I know my stuff about cars, and general mechanics, so I am not "new" to car or van electrics, but this obviously involves CB.
I am pretty sure that my EuroCB EA-150P linear is working ok, and have had some very pleasant reports speaking with people from a good high vantage point. Getting to the point, I would like to use a separate battery with the burner and the CB. Reason for this is that I have done some research and it seems that the amp would still run very nicely on 12v straight, and also with just 3ish Watts coming in from the Rotel RVC-240 without the van running. I am fairly sure it would still result in a nice 40+W output (because of the voltage drop), and might sound little better than putting 4W in from the CB and 14.8v in from the running van. It also might stop the amp from getting so very hot!!
Any feedback or advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for your time ,
Chris (Side)
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Hi Chris,

That would work, but the only way to find out how well would be to try it out.

You would just need to make sure the battery had enough capacity and find a way to charge it up from the vehicle.

Andy.
SideSide
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Thanks Andy. It does seem logical to "suck-it-and-see". I will test my theory on using a straight 12v with the amp first before I spend out on a leisure battery.
I will report back.
Many thanks again,
Chris (side)
SideSide
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 pm

So. I tried using the Rotel, and the burner using just the vans battery with engine off. Rotel was via the fag lighter, and amp was direct to battery (both in-line fused of course) and it all worked very well! I know the rotel was only giving around 2-3 Watts into the amp as the engine was off, and that the final power output after the amp was around 40 Watts. Plenty enough, and the amp didn't get anywhere near as hot! I have now invested in a new amp, the RM KL 203P. I was not very confident in the EuroCB EA-150P because I have had it for donkeys and it used to get thrashed back in the day, and I thought it was lacking some what, and possibly a tad tired as some of my reports said that generally I had a very good clear strong signal, but would ask me to repeat several times as the signal was dropping irratically on occasions. Even with the engine running, and the Rotel doing 4W as it has been serviced and aligned by a certain guru on youtube, the overall power output was only around 50W. Anyway, I will report back once I have installed the new amp, and hope to have some more long distance copies from up on the downs!
Sorry to ramble on. Cheers for reading.
Chris.
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Excellent, glad to heat it Chris.

Andy.
Post Reply