Warm rigs..

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring
Post Reply
SideSide
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Hello again all,
Stupid schoolboy question probably. I have finally finished setting up my rig and boots in the van. Sirio 3000 finally SWR'd in and getting very low figures 1:1 - 1:3. This should be fine for the RM KL 203 P linear to work alongside my original Midland 77-104uk I've had from new. Had a good chat earlier while I was mobile, and even without the linear switched on, the Midland ended up quite warm. I did some 20-30 second overs during the conversation. I used to be on the CB alot during the late 90's and have forgotten if this is perfectly normal 8-[ #-o I know the chip PA inside the rig should get warm, but I want to make sure the linear isn't throwing the whole SWR out and end up burning the finals out of my rig. I realise the linear will get hot, this I do remember very well!! I also know the SWR gets worse with the use of an amp, hence why it is recommended that you SWR the antenna in and get a good reading before connecting the linear. The CB wasn't hot, but fairly warm on top of the case. Just wanted to check with someone who knows, and can put my mind at rest.
Cheers, and sorry for rambling 8-[
SideSide
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Update. This morning I checked the SWR on the Midland with the linear in-line and to my amazement, it was about 1:3 -1:4 across the band! Channel 1, channel 20, and channel 40. Couldn't quite believe it. So I'm gonna shut up now, and just see how warm the Midland gets from now until the summer, with regular rig checks.
1010.
User avatar
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Northampton
Contact:

Hi SideSide,

Yes a bit warm is normal, as long as your SWR is good no need to worry (unless it gets very hot obviously).

Andy :)
Post Reply