i have a land rover 90 hard top, i have mounded the Aerial on the rear gutter and havee been told that i need to have a wire going from the Aerial to the chassis. i am using a orbitor Aerial with a sumeet gt-858b rig
if this is ture where would i fix the wire on the end of the Aerial (stupid question i no)
many thanks!
advice needed
-
jefarmstrng
- New to the Scene

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 pm
hi i have the same trouble i have a new cb midland ,,, and new twig and cable but i mounted it on front wing i don't think its earthed . if i fit it to a gutter mount do i not have to earth it?
cheers
cheers
-
hotmetal1000
- Chatter Box

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:00 am
- Location: Queensland, Australia
It should earth threw the gutter mount. If the cb works ok and swr is ok I wouldn't be to worried about it.
- jdo330
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 52
- Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire (but I get about a bit!)
A friend of mine has a LR 90 van style (im sure its called something else other than "van style") and he had SWR problems using an Orbitor on a gutter mount. In the end he mounted an "L" shaped bracket on the back of the vehicle up high (small panel on the nearside top corner at the rear) but he didnt expose the antenna coil fully just to give it a bit of protection. Checked the SWR and still a bit high so he did as you have been recommended and ran an earth wire to the chassis (he earthed from one of the two bolts that holds his "L" shaped bracket on from inside the vehicle). This got his SWR down to 2 on the UK 40 which is tollerable but still not perfect.
I hope this helps.
ATB, Jon.
I hope this helps.
ATB, Jon.
- jdo330
- Official CB Nut

- Posts: 52
- Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:59 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire (but I get about a bit!)
Hiya Stampman,
I told him that but he would rather protect the base of the antenna so he is going to stay as he is. He only uses it for laning etc so its generally only short range comms anyway.
ATB, Jon.
I told him that but he would rather protect the base of the antenna so he is going to stay as he is. He only uses it for laning etc so its generally only short range comms anyway.
ATB, Jon.


