Motorcycle rig - improvements...

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring
Post Reply
Anna
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 pm
CB Handle: NaanaB

Hi there guys,

As you may (or may not) have seen in Introduce Yourself, I've just started running a motorcycle rig, consisting of Midland 42 handheld (clipped to jacket, I'm gonna rig up something to put it inside my fairing sometime) connected to an in-helmet headphone set & handlebar PTT supplied by our esteemed sponsors.

This setup works, I was out and about at the weekend with a couple of mates and chatting away no probs.

However... My helmet has its own internal comms setup, designed for helmet-to-helmet comms and also phone/mp3 player. This means I've got two sets of earphones and two microphones stuffed in there at the minute... Not entirely comfortable.

Here's what I want to do - the helmet set, as I've mentioned, is capable of dealing with two inputs - phone/mp3 player input is a 3.5mm 4-way jack plug (? 3 black bands anyway), which I use - unsurprisingly - for my phone, and there's a 2.5mm jack plug the same for helmet-to-helmet setup. I'm thinking I could hijack the helmet-to-helmet capacity for the CB (this over-rides the phone input when actually sending/receiving on a VOX-type sensor I guess). But... I would need to get a cable to go from the 5-pin?? plug on the PTT set to the 2.5mm 4-way input jack into the helmet... Does such a cable exist off-the-shelf? Or would I be best off going to a components supplier, getting the two plugs I need and making something up myself? I can use a soldering iron (after a fashion) but I'm dreadfully out of practice.

Not a very clear explanation I'm afraid, I will try to get some pictures at some point if it'll help.

Another question is - is there any advantage seeing if I can rig up a "proper" twig on the bike? Better range? Or just too much faffing about - I don't have time for faffing!
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

EASY ONE yes you can mount antenna on a bike easly enough
first question you should be able to interface with the helmet but andy would be the guy to talk to give him a bell and see what he can do


:D :D :D :D :D *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
Post Reply