Quiet microphone.

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

I have had the rig set up and working a couple of days now, but only got my first response today from a trucker at junction 1 on the M18 motorway about 1 mile down the road from me. He reported that my signal was very strong and clear audio. However he said I was very quiet. I had the mic. about 4" from my mouth and was speaking in my normal (which is not quiet :lol: ) voice. I put the mic. closer to my mouth and spoke louder, which he said was slightly better, but still quiet. He said somthing in the set needed turning up, but I can`t remember what he said. As the set is brand new I suppose I should call in at Thunderpole with it, but thats a 200 mile round trip :( . Any help or advice would be welcome. :)
David.
Image
ballibeg
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:13 pm

Could he mean the mic gain?

Dave
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

I don`t know. The gain is not adjustable on the mic. itself. I have been trying to get more reports, but not been succesful. Hopefully I will have better luck this weekend. :)
David.
Image
ballibeg
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:13 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. Its really quiet here and in 4 weeks I've heard a few folk but had no contacts.

Tell us what rig it is and someone more knowledgeable will help I'm sure..... I'm just a newbie too!


Dave
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

I have got THIS
David.
Image
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

even if the set is quite provided the audio on tx is clear then you will be heard if you whant to make it louder then add and echo/power mic to the set other wise pm me and ill sort it out as your comeing up north later


:D :D :D :D :)
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

Providing people can hear me OK I am not bothered about it being loud and I don`t like echo mics. anyway. Trouble is getting people to answer you, so that I can get a general opinion of whether it`s OK or not. :)
David.
Image
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

ask 10 cber's for a report and you will get 15 differant answers fact of life just get to trust one and stay with his values



:D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

I`ve just been talking to two guys one about 8 mile away and one about 6 mile away from me. They both confirm that I am quiet, but it could be possibly the fact that I am at the side of my house, which is in the middle of a stone terrace. However like I explained when I have been mobile, I can`t get anybody to answer :lol:
David.
Image
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

is it possable that you get a lot of interferance when mobile



:D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

No I don`t think so cos I only tried when parked up with engine turned off. When listening while driving, incoming dosn`t seem to be effected.
David.
Image
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

I was told that 4w was a waste of time and the I needed an amplifier 30w minimum. Also that my antena was too short and also a waste of time. So what could I expect. :roll: :lol:
David.
Image
breaker 19
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:22 pm

stupidly have you got a pre-amp mic with volume control on mic and have you tried the battery in the back
Image
User avatar
Exy
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Rotherham, South Yorkshire. UK.

No it`s just a standard mic. no battries :) I think I might have found the problem though. When I installed the radio and mounted the antena in the center of the roof, it had been raining. I wiped the area where the mag mount was going and positioned it. When I checked the swr it was 1.1. However we havn`t had any rain for a few days now so the car is dry and when I checked the swr today it was 2.5 I have moved the antena to the back of the roof and the swr dropped to 1.8 to 2.1. I loosened the grub screw and raised the whip about 3mm and the reading was above 2 through the channels. So I shortened the whip about 3mm and replaced it. The swr then was 1.7 to 1.9 over the range. So I took another 3mm off hoping it would drop further, but it didn`t it stayed at 1.7 to 1.9. So I have left it at that, but I`m not happy with it. So I`m assuming the good swr was because the car was wet.

This is new position. :)

Image
Image
Image
David.
Image
User avatar
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -
Posts: 6090
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: lancaster

orbiters pick up reflection of the roof so moving it back has reduced the reflection and at tha kind of swr you would be as well leaving it alone now
you will find out its slightly directional with best signal going across the greatest length of ground plane






:D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it
Post Reply