Hello from North Ayrshire

A place for new members to say hello
Post Reply
User avatar
Mr Benz
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:56 pm

Hi , I'm Derek . I was a CB-er since circa 1981 , and still have my original Binatone Breaker Phone from back then ( actually I have two now ) , along with a fair few other rigs , all kept for the past 30-40 years . I've generally had a mobile rig set up in my car , but not been on much beyond 1990 or so , whenever it was mobile phones started to catch on .

Over the years I had a fair selection of rigs , ranging from UK40 sets to various multimode and multi band rigs , and used to repair them sometimes as favours for friends , depending what was wrong , such was the folly of letting people know I did electronics at Uni ... funny that none of my own rigs ever blew up or otherwise failed , but i tended to look after my own stuff .

Anyway , after a few life events : my mum passing away 4 years ago and finding all my old CB kit when clearing out her house , then parting with my ex shortly after , and more recently getting my own house again , I'm catching up with some past hobbies , and one of these will be setting up a rig at home ; just bought a Thunderpole 5 as the one thing I didn't have was a home base antenna ; just awaiting some co-ax and other sundries ( I have loads of RG59 but that's 75 ohm ) so have ordered some RG-8 along with UHF connectors and brackets ; also have an FM aerial to put up for my hi-fi ( I have plenty of URM 70 and 3 core arctic for it and the rotator ) and will do both now we're getting into the better weather . Also need to get the garden tidied this summer as I was too busy moving in last year to get near it before winter .

Amongst other things , I still have a couple of 40ch handsets , and have occasionally used them to listen in , or even chat to people when bored , but usually our kids used them as toys when away camping etc .

Anyway , I should be back on the air within the next few weeks , and will see who I can get in touch with .
Post Reply